Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sand gets in your eyes....


I sit here writing this having just returned from a nice 5 mile tempo run on the boardwalk. The scenery was fantastic, both of the beach and of the bikini clad beauties gracing the beach with their presence.
Overall, I love my Garmin Forerunner 305, but I must question the accuracy of the HR monitor. On the run, my average HR was 175bpm, which would be 95% of my max HR of 183. Now I know that the old formula of 220-age is not 100% accurate, but even if it off by a few bpms, that would still mean I was running at over 90% of my max HR for most of the run. Now considering that I have done a 5 mile race at a significantly faster pace than I just trained at, I highly doubt that I was in such a high HR zone. Maybe it pays to go see a sports doc and have my max HR and VO2 max tested.

1 comment:

Machine. said...

I find the whole Max BPM thing extremely overrated. Lawyers (and you should, or will know soon) are woven into every fabric of our life. The Max BPM thing is probably extremely conservative, to prevent any sort of litigation against the publisher should one drop dead all of a sudden.

Why Am I Saying All of This?

Because, I have done tempo runs on treadmills, where my heart has average in the 170 range as well. And while I cannot predict my future, I can clearly state that Blogrunner is still beating.

Now about 'dem beauties....what? NO PHOTOS????? :-)