Sunday, July 27, 2008

Is Mother Nature A Runner????

My day began at 3 a.m. as I woke up with a bunch of nervous energy in anticipation of my first half-marathon. We were picking up Bonnie, Tom and Vince (who never made it for the ride) at 5:30 at Forest Park and the whole drive over there it was raining hard and lightning as well. The storm continued for the entire drive into Manhattan and started letting up a little as soon as we got out of the car, but it was still raining somewhat. About 6:30, as we were loading into our corrals, the rain stopped and it stayed completely dry for the entire run as well as the post race festivities. On the way home (thanks for the ride Alex), the downpour resumed and even hailed for a little while, fortunately we were inside a pizza parlor for the hailstorm.

Anyway, as for the race itself.... My goal was to finish in under 2 hours, but in the back of my head I was holding out hope for 1:50:00. Well, my net time was a 1:57:03, and I am very pleased with this result for my first long race (my previous longest race was a 10k). Some stats - I finished 3765th overall out of 10506 finishers. In my gender and age group (the oh so tough M30-39), I placed 1058 out of 2071. Again, overall I am very pleased (as below pic shows), but now I have some new goals to train for.

I am tired.....more to come tomorrow........

No comments: