Tuesday, August 5, 2008

M.I.A.

Where have I been? It's almost as if I was on vacation and had not access to a computer, but unfortunately that is not the case and I have just been busy and lazy.

Anyway, last Thursday (7/31), the gang from Forest Park Runners (www.forestparkrunners.org) went to see the movie Ultra Marathon Man.

For those who don't know about the film....
The inspirational film UltraMarathon Man: 50 Marathons • 50 States • 50 Days, features renowned endurance athlete and best selling author Dean Karnazes, in his attempt to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days to rasie awarenes for youth obestisty and to get America active. A beautiful and epic journey across the United States, during which Dean pushes the limits of human endurance, inspiring thousands across the country to join him along the path while uniting people of all ages and abilities to take "the next step."

And for those who don't know about Dean....
Dean has pushed his body and mind to inconceivable limits. Among his many accomplishments, he's run and has won the world's toughest footrace: the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile run across Death Valley in 130-degree temperatures. He’s run a marathon to the South Pole in negative 40 degrees, a 200-mile relay solo, racing alongside teams of twelve, and has completed a non stop 350-mile run.

The movie was very inspirational although I got shin splints and knee pain just from watching it. Seriously though, I did want to go for a midnight run right after the movie but I couldn't convince anyone to join me plus I was wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

Saturday morning was the long training run in Central Park. Alex and I had planned to do 3 of the loops, which would have totaled 16 miles. However after the 11th mile when we stopped for the food / gatorade break, I felt a sharp pain in my left knee and decided to call it quits. Look at this dynamic duo...


Fortunately, I have been following the RICE method and am feeling better, so I will be running with the team tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Machine. said...

What kind of a horrible blog is this? You say you haven't written in a month. And since then, its been OVER a month! Hang it up, your blogging days are done, son.

BTW-The guy next to you is a good looking guy!